You are here
Union-Budget 2013: “Be Less of an Economist and More of an Entrepreneur” says Lavanya Rastogi, President, OSSCube
Lavanya Rastogi, President, Global Operations, OSSCube illustrates his fairly simple expectations and hopes for a miracle to turn everything good for business wallahs and aam admi. You can read Lavanya’s fresh-pioneering ideas and complete Budget 2013 wishlist on DECCAN Chronicle.
Below is his full write up:
- Support SME competitiveness by simplifying and supporting expansion of access to credit specially in overseas markets
- Incentive investment into R&D and Skill building in the knowledge based industries
- Expand budgetary support for institution of higher learning with real productive partnership with the industry.
- Make innovators feel welcome – by offering basic sops and a helping hand
- Invest for the future – in building public institutions that will outlive your generation.
- Expand the CGTSME to offer support upto 5 Crores and provide a framework for participating institutions to offer analogous credit guarantees or lines of credit in foreign currencies – which is key to supporting the business development expansion for export centric SMEs.
- Allow R&D investment to be tax deductible at 200% and training expense to be tax deductible at 150%, this will encourage increased investment in skill building for knowledge based industries.
- Provide budgetary support for expanding Industry-Academia collaboration in institutions of excellence – with the freedom to attract top flight corporate talent to manage and participate them. Currently this process if more industry driven than institution encouraged for lack of funds to attract talent from the industry to professionally run it.
- Create a version 2.0 of the STPI scheme atleast for Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities that missed on the 10A and 10B regime lead employment generation. Even of its not a 100% tax rebate - one of the routes could be to have a special class of “lower deemed tax rate” – allowing the SME to remain competitive with other emerging destinations.
- Freedom from vendor lock-in: Vendor lock-in, also known as proprietary lock-in or customer lock-in, makes a customer dependent on supplier or vendor for their certain products and services. If you wish to change over to another vendor, major migration costs ensue, resulting in vendor monopoly. In case of Open Source Software (OSS,) you are not confined…always have ‘freedom’ from such lock-ins. In Future of Open Source 2012 survey, a full 60 percent of respondents identified freedom from vendor lock-in as the top motivating factor that makes OSS attractive.
- Lower maintenance cost: In terms of security, Open Source Software is the clear winner. For example Linux is much more secure than Windows. In addition, Open Source Software empowers you to customize the software without depending on the supplier. Thus maintenance cost is quite low. Developers skilled in LAMP stack are more cost effective than proprietary developer rates. According to the survey of Future of Open Source 2012, 51 percent of respondents believed that lower acquisition and maintenance costs are other top factors for OSS adoption.
- Better Quality: An Open Source Software is backed by many developers across the globe, thus evolves faster from a maturation standpoint and provides better quality and higher reliability. Such software are frequently developed, released and are extensively reviewed.
"By 2012, 80 per cent of all commercial software will include elements of open-source technology," Gartner wrote in a report. "Many open-source technologies are mature, stable and well supported. They provide significant opportunities for vendors and users to lower their total cost of ownership and increase returns on investment. Ignoring this will put companies at a serious competitive disadvantage. Embedded open-source strategies will become the minimal level of investment that most large software vendors will find necessary to maintain competitive advantages during the next five years."
And, what about Innovation?
This is a huge testament to our success deploying enterprise grade PHP apps for our customers such as the Social Security Administration and a Fortune 500 Health Product company who have saved 25-50% of development and deployment costs by utilizing Zend and PHP through OSSCube. This recognition is a proof of our best practices, high quality of delivery and strong pool of certified engineers who are doing world-class PHP work for our customers’ success.
ZendCon 2012 is in final preparations for an exciting conference and OSSCube is delighted to once again be sponsoring this premier PHP conference. Taking place on October 22-25, 2012 in Santa Clara, US, this 8th edition of ZendCon offers attendees the chance to learn from a variety of technical sessions and in-depth tutorials.
The summer 2012 edition of the Zend Developer pulse survey reveals that PHP is the language of choice for developing cloud based applications. The survey has thrown a number of interesting figures and it states that 63% of developers are deploying some apps to the cloud; 1 in 10 developers expect 100 percent of their apps to be cloud-based.
Surveying 3000+ developers, more than half the developers indicated that the apps they are developing today are destined to be deployed in cloud environments. Only one quarter of respondents (26 percent) do not expect any of their apps currently in development to be cloud-based.
Another interesting fact that popped up from the survey is that the data is consistent across company sizes. Like their small-business counterparts, 10 percent of developers in larger corporations (more than 5,000 employees) said that everything they are developing is going to be deployed to either private or public cloud.
So, what are the factors which are making PHP a magnet for enterprises for cloud-based application development? Is it its ability to accelerate development cycle? Time saving capability? Or something associated with cost…? These mentioned factors do play their role, but it’s the combination of speed and ease of use that drives enterprises to build and deploy PHP-based cloud applications quickly.
But to get the more out of PHP and stay efficient, it is also important for enterprises to better manage security updates and patches of PHP, plus keep an eye on the latest frameworks and reusable components from the community for maximum leverage.
Being the world’s first Zend Center of Excellence and with proven capability in PHP, we, the PHP people, too realize the growing role of PHP in web, social apps and cloud apps. Now the results of Zend pulse survey make us even more enthusiastic and more agile about our PHP practice.
OSSCube is a leading global Open Source Software focused company, providing an integrated value chain of services encompassing mission critical application development, product customization and implementation, consulting and training services, on open source products and technologies, delivered through its principal locations spread across North America, the UK & India.
Team, time to clap for OSSCube’s new feat! Just a few days ago, OSSCube struck a strong partnership with Talend— the Open Source Integration Software Company, and from now on we are a Talend Gold partner for the US, UK and India. In fact we are covered for UK, Eire, Nordics, India, Middle East, South Africa and USA. We are confident that this new partnership will further empower us in our continued move to deliver cost effective and enterprise scale data solutions to solve complex issues for our clients.
Talend provides open source middleware solutions that enable organizations to gain more value from their applications, systems and databases. This alliance will enable us to take full advantage of Talend’s internal expertise and leverage Talend’s open source community for delivering enterprise-level data integration and data migration solutions.
Via Talend.com: Shattering the traditional proprietary model, Talend democratizes the integration market by providing enterprise-grade open source technologies that cover both the data integration and application integration needs of organizations of all sizes. Talend's unified integration platform addresses projects such as data integration, ETL, data quality, master data management and application integration. With their proven performance, ease of use, extensibility and robustness, Talend's solutions are the most widely used and deployed integration solutions in the world.
“Talend is a great addition to our portfolio. We will be able to optimize the process of Integration, Migration, improving Data Quality for our customers using Talend. Talend will also be a great addition to our Big Data capabilities” and we will be organizing training for a team of 8 who can then become trainers for other people within OSSCube, said Shashin Shah - Managing Director, OSSCube, UK.
So, let’s welcome another set of skills in OSSCube team. And, I will update you soon once the Talend training schedule is finalized.
ZendCon 2012 Call for paper is now open. Come and speak at this Premier PHP Conference to share your experiences and learn from the rockstars of the PHP world.
- PHP in 2012
- Zend Framework 2
- Development & The Cloud
ZendCon, 2012 is open to any new and unique content. Submissions will be accepted for both 3 hour tutorials and 60 minute sessions; and please do submit more than one talk if you have a lot to say.
Within the themes, there are several topic areas that would be beneficial to the attendees.
- Application and infrastructure best practices/case studies
- Testing, debugging, profiling and QA
- Framework-based development
- Zend Framework 2
- Cloud-based services and cloud-based development
- Server and cloud-based infrastructure
- RIA, mobile and browser
- Databases, storage and data modeling
- Unsung Tools
- Agile processes and project management
- PHP on the IBM i
This 8th edition of ZendCon promises to be an exceptional venue to meet peers, engage innovative companies and take up unique networking opportunities.
Did I forget to mention that accepted speakers will have round-trip airline travel arranged and paid for by S&S Media, the conference organizer. Speakers will also be provided a complimentary hotel room for 1 night and will receive an additional complimentary night for each presentation or tutorial given (up to a maximum of 6 nights).
The Call for Papers closes on May 21st, 2012, so start submitting now at www.zendcon.com/input.
Join with a great lineup this year for an awesome learning opportunity!
The recently held OSCON 2011 Convention in Portland, OR was a fantastic experience for the OSSCube team. This conference gave me the opportunity to meet and speak with many technology evangelists around the world. I delivered a major presentation on SmartWorks Project (a federal level use system that OSSCube has helped design and roll out) during day two of the event while the, President Lavanya Rastogi and Head of Business Development & Customer Advocacy Vivek Agrawal alternated booth staffing duty and new business prospect meetings throughout the event. Our presentation was accepted so well by the audience and received some concrete feedback.
We had a well thought out and well designed booth Setup where our international team with mix of sales focus and technical expertise was present to support us. Our Partners ZEND backed us at the booth. Our case studies were quite a success and attracted the clients to visit us at the booth.
The Tuesday evening reception and two full days of exhibits on Wednesday and Thursday saw some 185 of the show’s delegates, almost 8% of the total, visit the OSSCube booth and interact with both our staff and our two guest authors, Kevin Schroeder and Peter MacIntyre, both of whom signed copies of their respective books and assisted us in educating delegates on the interrelationship of PHP, Zend and OSSCube. Several solid new and continuing business leads were developed at the show and are already being followed up.
We’re very likely to see some of these same delegates at our next stop, ZendCon, in mid October in Santa Clara, CA. We’ll share new opportunities from this show as they materialize.
OSSCube is proud to announce that they are sponsoring ZendCon 2011, an event focused on PHP best practices and emerging new technologies. Taking place in Santa Clara, California on October 17-20, 2011, the conference will bring together PHP developers and IT managers from around the world to explore the latest developments on in PHP ecosystem.
OSSCube, the world’s first ZEND Center of Excellence for enterprise PHP and Product Development, aggressively supports open source focused conferences. The company also contributes regularly in open source technology by way of code contributions.
This 7th Annual Zend PHP Conference will feature renowned speakers, in depths tutorials and an exhibit hall featuring industry leaders where you’ll have both learning and networking opportunities. The conference is majorly focused on themes Cloud Computing, Mobile and User Experience, and Enterprise and Professional PHP.
At the ZendCon 2011, PHP enthusiasts will have great opportunity to:
- Explore PHP best practices for architecture, design and development
- Learn about the latest developments in PHP Cloud infrastructure, management and application services
- Discover new advances in the PHP language and how best to harness them
- Learn how to build engaging mobile apps with the latest PHP technologies and tools
- Explore new technologies like NoSQL and Cloud Computing
- Learn how to effectively leverage Zend Framework and the changes coming in ZendFramework 2.0
To know more about the conference, do visit http://zendcon.com/
About OSSCube, Zend Centre of Excellence:
OSSCube has been consistently rated as one of the best PHP Solution providers in the world. ‘If it is PHP, we do it best’ has been the company’s credo since its inception and living up to this motto has made OSSCube the world’s first Zend Centre of Excellence, housing best of breed PHP expertise and development practices. By forging partnerships with leading open source technology/product providers like Acquia (Drupal), SugarCRM (Gold partner), and EnterpriseDB (Global SI Partner), OSSCube has enhanced its technological expertise and emerged as the ‘preferred partner’ for global corporations looking for outsourced product development engagements. And it has carved a niche for itself in the technology space by delivering innovative, on-time and cost-effective open source solutions to businesses globally through its delivery centres in USA, UK and India. Learn more at php.osscube.com.
Zend – The PHP Company
Zend Technologies is the leading provider of software and services for developing, deploying, and managing business-critical PHP applications for on-premise and cloud computing environments.
PHP runs more than one-third of the world’s Web sites and has quickly become the most popular language for building dynamic Web applications. Deployed at more than 40,000 companies worldwide, the Zend family of products delivers a comprehensive solution for supporting the entire application lifecycle.